Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Just So Everyone Knows

I know that last post seemed a little, shall we say, melancholy. However, I do enjoy Christmas. I love Christmas! In fact, if I could marry Christmas, sleep with it, and bear its children, then I would. I love all its piny, frosting-coated, twinkle-lighted, gift-wrapped, credit-charged, bread-stuffinged, holiday caroling, television-specialty goodness.

Just so you know.

P.S. Does the absence of a Christmas tree in my house make me the Anti-Christ(mas)? I mean, Jesus Christo didn't hang on a pine, did he? He wasn't birthed under the scented bows of a Pinus monticola, was he? Do pines even grow in the Holy Land? Point is, I forget the symbolism behind the tree, and I don't really care enough to Google it, so I opted for giant poinsettias instead. They're festive as fu**!

9 Comments:

At 12/19/2006 9:20 PM, Blogger kwpershey said...

lol. actually, to be more specific, i sort of snorted out loud. loudly.

lookin' forward to friday... ;-)

 
At 12/20/2006 5:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charise,
There are pines in the Holy Land. The Turkish pine (and probably others) are fairly common in the middle east. Dr. Weil would be so proud that I remembered that.
Like so many other Christian practices, keeping a Christmas tree evolved from pre-Christian pagan worship. Dr. Zeitler would be equally proud that I remembered that.
Here end today’s superfluous factoids. Feliz Navidad.

 
At 12/20/2006 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow I knew that it would be E.R.D. that came up with the factoids.

Is that a poinsettia your avatar is hiding behind?

Froheliche Weihnachten to you as well!

 
At 12/21/2006 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charise,
The painting, one of my favorites, is Rubens Peale with a Geranium, by Rembrandt Peale. The sitter, the artist’s younger brother, was a botanist. The plant was the first geranium grown in the Western Hemisphere. If you’re ever in DC, you can see the portrait in my old stomping grounds, the National Gallery of Art.
Apparently I was wrong about the end of useless factoids. You’d think that I’d know better than that, by now.

 
At 12/21/2006 2:41 PM, Blogger jez said...

Charise,

I believe you just got schooled!

 
At 12/21/2006 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got schooled HARD!

Who knew that my blog would soon produce sound factoids? I for sure, did not. However, I do not oppose the factoids, rather welcome them with open arms and empty head.

 
At 12/21/2006 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS. Your old stomping grounds were the National Gallery of Art? My envy is massive right now.

 
At 12/22/2006 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charise,
Alas, I do prattle.
As for the NGA, I worked there, briefly. It was my first foray into archival work, creating a catalog of all of the blueprints and engineering drawings of the buildings for the engineering department. I fear it may sound like a better job than it really was. Handling old John Russell Pope and I. M. Pei drawings was very cool, but I did manage to get both pneumonia and bronchitis from the 60-year-old dust.

 
At 12/27/2006 9:31 AM, Blogger Moonery said...

Hooray for Pagans!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home