Sunday, February 26, 2006

On Praising Children

This morning was a rather hectic one, as Sundays usually are. Sissy Suzy was in town, and just that ALONE is enough to give one a panick attack (just kidding sweetums!). Anthony had to get financials done, I needed to prepare my lesson for nursery (super stressful, you know how critical 2-year-olds can be), make lunch, and the five of us needed to somehow all shower and get ready in an hour with only ONE bathroom. Sounds like a recipe for disaster...or just a pain in the arse. It being Sunday and all, I guess God looked down on us, shook his head, gave a little nod and winked, and everything worked out without anyone melting into a puddle on the floor. Maybe is was God...or Santa. I don't have all the answers.

The boys were cooperating wonderfully, getting showered, dressed, and primping their new hair-dos. Usually this doesn't happen. Usually there is some type of break down, a shoe lost or a button askew, I end up red-faced and screaming like the mother on "Malcom in the Middle" (Booooooooooyyyyyyyyyssssss!!!!!) and Anthony and I consider divorcing for the millionth time. It's like our special little Sunday tradition we hold dear to our hearts. Today the boys chose to stray from tradition. This being the case, I decided to praise them for their cooperation. I wanted to emphasis the fact that they had been listening to me like little gems--and following instructions. In my sweetest voice I said,

"You've really been great listeners this morning guys. It's made the morning go smoothly." (How you like me now, Dr. Laura?)

No response.

"Cody, Colton...."

"Cody! Colton!" I yelled to get them to hear me.

I knew they could hear me, because I could hear them. It's not like our house isn't 10 square feet total. Sound doesn't have a problem travelling in our house.

"Boooooooooyyyyysssss!" I yelled again.

No reply.

"Cody, Colllllllllltonnnnn!"

Finally,

"Yeah, what? What Mom?"

In my sweet voice I said, "I just wanted to thank you two for being such good listeners this morning. It's really made the morning go smoothly." I felt deja vu, like I had just barely told them that.

No response. Nothing........finally......

"Huh? What?" was their reply.

"Uhhh, nothing. Forget it guys."

And that's why you don't praise your children.

The End.

5 Comments:

At 2/27/2006 9:00 AM, Blogger Moonery said...

Har!!!!
Yet they always seem to hear when you say something you don't want them to. Like "Aunt Suzy made out at the Troubadore..."

"What? Aunt Suzy MADEOUT?? What are you guys talking about??"

Lil' Angels.

 
At 2/27/2006 11:00 AM, Blogger jez said...

I know - you can mutter something obsence under your breath and they will hear it from a mile away.

"You mean the guy Auntie Nichole was dating who was married and does cocaine?"

 
At 2/27/2006 11:00 AM, Blogger jez said...

P.S. What's this about making out...YOU get suzy to make out and all I got to do was share a bed and a vibrator with her on my visit?

 
At 2/27/2006 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SUZY SCORED AT THE TROUBADOR! Thus, the title of my next blog is going to be:

"Third Wheel Syndrom and the Little Sister"

 
At 2/27/2006 1:50 PM, Blogger Moonery said...

I think it should be called...
He was the most beautiful of God's creations and he was INTO ME. How could I not make out with him???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home