Tuesday, August 08, 2006

On the Way Home

It’s ironic that Nick posted what she posted today, because I was thinking about similar things.

I was thinking about some of cases I have seen while working in a prosecutorial environment. Bad things. Sad things. Flat out make-you-sick-at-humanity things. At first when you come across this kind of information, you’re shocked. Then you become intrigued and start to wonder what made these people behave the way they did. You try reading true crime stories, to get more informed. You keep posted on the news to see if anything new has slipped out of the perp’s mouth that will bring clarification to the sickness. You flip through the psychiatric analysis looking for clues.

So much information but no real, solid answers to the real questions: Why do bad things happen? Why do sad things happen? Why do make-you-sick-at-humanity things happen?

I grew up believing that bad things happened to you if you sinned. Well, at this stage in life—I know that’s not true. Nobody should teach that type of lie. Psychologists tell us a lot of reasons for why bad things happen but they’re just scientific excuses.

I’ve finally come to my own personal conclusion as to why humans do horrible things. Drumroll please…

They just do, and we’ll never really know why.


At least that’s what I’m going to tell my children when they come to me with the same questions. It’s the best I can do.

2 Comments:

At 8/09/2006 1:25 PM, Blogger Moonery said...

Wowzers...that was sad.

 
At 8/09/2006 6:28 PM, Blogger jez said...

It's true though, I really used to believe that when something tragic happened to someone, they somehow had it comming. I really know now that it's not true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home